Introduction to Psychoanalysis Program
Applications Currently Being Accepted
The Introduction to Psychoanalysis (IP) Program is designed to provide a foundation in the principles, theories, and techniques of psychoanalytic therapy. Participants in this program are professionals with an interest in mental health treatment, who wish to develop their clinical skills through classroom learning, mentoring and clinical case discussions. Participants will gain the support and confidence necessary to develop or expand their private practices or work more effectively with patients in community mental health agencies, schools, universities, and health care settings. This program provides participants with a certificate in psychoanalytic oriented psychotherapy. Candidates are often motivated continue their training, and to enroll in the more in-depth Advanced Psychoanalytic Program offered at our Institute. Candidates who continue their training will receive credits towards the Advanced Psychoanalytic Program.
Registration is open to mental health professionals and individuals who possess a Master‘s Degree or it’s equivalent and are interested in psychoanalysis. A member of the NJI’s admissions committee will interview potential Candidates for admission. Learn more about Admissions.
- Course Work — The curriculum is comprised of 6 courses. Candidates are encouraged to proceed at their own pace.
- Personal Psychotherapy— Strongly recommended
- Supervision — Minimum of 20 hours is required.
- Once accepted into a program, it is recommended that a candidate become a student member of NAAP (NAAP.org)
Class Schedule and Time
- View Class Schedule
Fall Semester -begins first week of October
Spring Semester – begins mid-February
Tuition and Fees
- Registration, PEP-Web Online Psychoanalytic Library, and PACO Membership fees: $115
- Tuition per course: $350
- Payment plan available
- Registered candidates pay a nominal fee to attend our Fall conference and Spring workshop. In addition, NJI offers many events that are free of charge.
The New Jersey Institute for Training in Psychoanalysis
121 Cedar Lane, Suite 3-A
Teaneck, NJ 07666
*Subject to change
- Basic Concepts in Psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalytic Theory of Early Development
- Case Seminar: Clinical Considerations
- Introduction to Freud
- Developmental Theory: Latency Through Adolescence
- Case Seminar: Clinical and Ethical Considerations